Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Garden panoramas

Well, I've taken the end of August panorama and I thought I'd show off the progression of the back garden through this spring and summer.

April

I didn't have the idea of doing the panoramas at first, so the mid-April pictures are actually two sets that didn't overlap enough to allow them to be stitched together.
Mid April left side of hill

Mid April right side of hill
The early daffodils really stand out against the red mulch.
Late April
Beginning to see where the bigger elements of the garden are returning to the spring garden.

May

Mid May
Beginning to see the Azaleas in the center show their color.
Late May
By late May there has been a lot of growth and filling in, even the vegetable garden on the far right is showing growth.

June

Mid June
In June we started seeing the Primrose and the Rose Campion - bunches of yellow and pinkish red.
Late June

July

Mid July
By mid July we were seeing a LOT of the green spikey plants all over, but particularly in the center - blocking our view of the butterfly bushes..
Late July
I made a decision that the green spikey things were weeds - they were taking over and growing so big that we couldn't see much else. - except the mutant tomato bushes taking over the vegetable garden.  There are only 3 tomato bushes in that garden over there on the right.

August

Mid August
It was a very mild August, very few days in the 90's and none that I can remember in the 100's. Everything continued to thrive, but we don't have much blossoming out back in the late summer.  We had a very healthy hibiscus in the front yard, but those pictures are in other posts.
Late August
August has continued mild (a little hot this week, but nothing to complain about.) The mutatnt tomato plants are still going strong - we're getting between a pint and a quart of cherry tomatoes almost every day.

September and October

There will still be plenty to do and more tomatoes to harvest, but the major flowering and gardening for this season is winding down.  I'm already making plans for next year, but this project has given me a longer perspective on the cycles of the garden through the Spring and Summer months.  I need to find some more late blooming plants o help fill out all the greenery of August and September.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden really looks great! Do your dogs run through it? I have two that love to go on safari through the flowers and I never know where they'll pop up. They other two are supposed to stay out but they sneak in when I'm not looking. Your plants look so lush and healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes the dogs have free run privileges inside the fence; so they don't get as far as the holly trees, but run free throughout the hill garden. That's one of the two reasons I call it a rescue garden. It's full of rescue dogs (4 right now) so I try to be aware of poisonous plant, and I'm trying to rescue the garden from my own follies as a beginning gardener. We bought the house 4 years ago and even the landscaper who had worked with the previous owner did not know what all the plants were, I'm just glad they they seem to be surviving my care. Thanks

      Delete