Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Walk in the Woods

Today I went exploring and decided to check out the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge that's about 15 minutes away. It's a nice August day, not too hot and only a little muggy. I ended up taking about a 90 minute walk in the woods.

These weren't woods like Mirkwood - much more like woods you'd find in the Shire. Cleared of too much underbrush with clearly marked trails.  It's hard to wrap my head around having such a great forest so close that I actually drive past it a couple times a week on my way home from work (depending which office I need to be at on a specific day.)

There are several trails that have had gravel coverings to help keep them clear, but not so groomed as to lose the feel of a forest and feeling like walking through a garden.  One of the shorter trails "The Loop Trail" is actually paved, but I got off of that at the first  chance I had. I wanted to get into the woods.

As soon as I got off the paved loop, there were plenty of trees and undergrowth to give a tranquil atmosphere. And even an occasional train whistle in the distance (ooooohhhhhh!!!)

 Just off the loop were a few weeds/flowers (you can decide what to call them.) But they set a tone of not too groomed, but still welcoming. (At least to me.)
 A little farther into the travels was a knobby tree stump. (How often do you get to use the word knobby?)  It was just growing up on the side of the path, or the path was just finding it's way past the tree - probably the later.

The trail I went out on was called Laurel trail. And after a few minutes, Laurel Trail opened up to Goose Pond. (It even sounds like names from the Shire - nothing evil or ominous, simple wholesome names.)

Goose Pond wasn't mirror still, but it still provided a chance for some reflection pictures with the trees around the pond showing in the water.

I don't know where the stream lead off too, the trail didn't go that direction.  I kept following Laurel Trail past Goose Pond and went back into the woods.  I came across a fallen log that was mostly hollowed out and had become a semi-enclosed nook.

I didn't look close enough to investigate any current insect infestations, it just looked interesting off the side of the path.

I did see one area that made me think of Mirkwood though.

Does it look like it could be a giant spider moving forward? Or maybe dropping nets down to catch trekkers?

And there were gnarly trees and tree stumps just off the trail.  (How often do you get to use the word gnarly?)

I guess the best advice still is "Stay on the trail."

I came out OK and came home relaxed and refreshed after a couple tense weeks.  I'll be going back to Patuxent Wildlife Refuge.  I wonder where the other trails lead?


No comments:

Post a Comment