Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 29 panorama

I am continuing my project of taking panorama shots of the back garden at the turn of the month and at the middle.  Since June is ending on a Monday. I went out and took the pictures today.  I spent yesterday working on the vegetable garden, taking off the bird netting and putting in supports for the plants. Today I did some weeding, so the garden was ready to have it's picture taken.

TaDa:



I was talking to our neighbor, Pat, last night (we had her over for a barbecue) and she said she doesn't remember a summer when the plants got so big.  So these pictures may not be typical, but they do document the stages of growth and change through the summer. At the end of the summer I am going to put together a couple collages showing the development of the garden and print them off on photo paper and put them into my garden notebook.  So I'll have a record of the garden (as it is this year) and what blooms when and where in the garden. 

As I mentioned, yesterday we took the bird netting off the vegetable garden.  The tomatoes and cucumbers were growing through it, so we figured it would be more a hindrance to us being able to harvest anything than effective protection from the birds.  (We've already started getting zucchini, and cucumbers, and the lettuce is done for the season.  Tomatoes are very close.)

So, I was saying (twice now) we took down the bird netting.  What I didn't realize was how much the plants were using the netting for support.  Once I had the netting free, everything fell over.



That's a big pile of tomato and cucumber plants that's too heavy to support itself.

A trip to Lowes and a couple hours later we have this:




It wasn't quite the plans I had for the afternoon, but now the tomatoes and cucumbers are supported and have more room to grow.  We can also see and reach the tomato plants on the inside of the box. We found another ripe zucchini and Gloria made zucchini tots to go with the grilled chicken and pasta salad for dinner.

Now I'm just hoping that the raised bed is high enough to be out of reach of the bunnies.

3 comments:

  1. I love your panoramic view of the flowerbed. It's stunning. Your veggie garden is very interesting. What a great, compact way to grow veggies. We have only tomatoes this year and a few herbs.....Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we enjoy our gardens, although the vegetable garden wasn't planned to get so big. But it just keeps growing and we're trying to keep it contained but still give it space to grow (and for us to be able to reach in and pick the produce as it ripens.)

      Delete
  2. I took off my bird netting too, but for a different reason. I tried it for the snap peas to climb up, and the peas are done for the season. It worked, although reaching through to pick peas on the other side of the net was not easy.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete