Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

What it's all about (at least in part...)

I don't raise vegetables, or fruit, or herbs. I have fun working in the yard trying to make it look attractive and peaceful. A welcoming and relaxing retreat.  Some days I work in downtown Washington DC (about 1 block from the US Capitol;) some days I drive 40 mileas each way through rush hour traffic; and some days I work from my home office.  So the back yard is a place apart from all three of these.

Last weekend we were able to share this retreat with a group of volunteers from the program that Gloria used to run.We spent weeks planning and getting ready to share our retreat with her friends.  We wanted to share the joy we find in relaxing out there and wanted to be sure we had plenty os seating.  We had invited about 40 people, so we needed seating.

So, I pulled out every folding chair and shade canopy we had in the shed and got to work.










We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to invite these friends to our home. As you can see, the garden is a big part of our outdoor home. Being able to share the results of the work outside gave me a great feeling of satisfaction.  It felt so good to be able to set a welcoming space for our friends who had volunteered so many hours to Gloria's program.

For me, all this time in the yard, and researching the plants, shrubs, and trees is spent trying to craft a space to share.  I wouldn't do it just for myself, it has purpose when I can be a host and share it, especially when I can share it with the love of my life who has shared the last 22 years with me.

Of course we were also able to offer them the chance for a stroll up the garden path:

And did I mention food?

And here's fair warning to Jacob and Amanda - she's getting a baby fix!


No comments:

Post a Comment